Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

What it means to be a dad

Today, I'm feeling grateful. I have a fantastic dad. He's a man who has always been there for me, often tells me that he loves me and is a great role model for both my husband and my son.
Not everyone has that -- my husband included. Luckily, he grew up with a strong mother who was able to play both roles, mother and father, while teaching him everything he needed to know and showing him what it was like to be a good parent. I know it wasn't always easy for her, but she did the absolute best she could, and she did a really good job of it.
But my heart still hurts for Dan. Where there should be fatherly love, there's nothing. There's a man who forgets his birthday, spreads lies to family members and friends and continues to let his son live with a secret that if told would hurt far too many people. But kept in secret, it hurts Dan.
Up until this point, Dan and I have vowed to take the high road (this blog likely derails that). On Sunday, Dan's dad left a message on facebook that while vague we both believe it was targeted directly at me. This isn't the first time he's done something like this. It likely won't be the last. At first, I was angry. I was hurt. Now, I'm just sad.
Sad that Dan will never have a "real" dad and that our son will never have a grandpa on that side of the family. But it also makes me appreciate what they will have that much more.
Watching Dan and my dad develop a strong relationship has been as rewarding for me as it has been for Dan. They hunt together, they fish together and they just spend time together. Dan loves that time. I know my dad does, too.
That's the kind of relationship I know Dan will have with our son -- one based on love and mutual respect.
Today, I'm grateful. Grateful for my dad who has accepted my husband just as he has me. And to my husband, who I know will be a fantastic father to our son.

No comments:

Post a Comment